I'm not sure when exactly I fell in love with India, but perhaps it was years ago when my mom read me the book A Little Princess, which described the mystery and enchantment of India through the eyes of 10 year old Sara Crewe. It doesn't really matter though, because I think I'll always love India. It is just such a fascinating place, one of complete sensory overload: the colors, the smells, the noise, the people, the poverty, the opulence, the filth and the beauty. It is both extremes in the same place, side by side, and I find it an intoxicating mixture.
2 days is by no means long enough to visit India. You need more like 2 months or 2 years to really start to see the country. However, I wasn't about to turn down the chance to go back, even if it was only for such a short amount of time. I currently work with a team based in Hyderabad - so it was fun to get back 3 years after my rotation living there in 2011 to meet the new team, see the changes at the office and see how much the city itself has evolved.
The weather was warm, but not oppressive and it was uncharacteristically rainy in the evenings, but luckily, what I packed still worked:
Clockwise from left: custom-made Kurta (purchased on my last trip to India), short-sleeved cotton maxi-dress in the most amazing colors (modest enough for temple visits), Rag & Bone skinny jeans, Aldo flat sandals (old).
Most of the trip was spent in the office, but I was able to work in some fun. When you only have 2 days in India (and no time for sightseeing or much exploring), I recommend you focus on eating & shopping. I focused on both
My morning commute with my trusty driver Hassan:
![]() |
| Chaat station @ Google cafe |
Playing with the toys in the office...like this bicycle rickshaw (very common in India, especially in motorbike form. This particular one was for inside use only :)
![]() |
| Introducing Judy & Jon to the amazingness that is Chaat (and sporting my custom-made kurta) |
![]() |
| The only way Judy & I roll |
![]() |
| Arm Candy: Local Hyderabad Bangles |
![]() |
| Here I am in the Emirates Lounge in HYD, attempting not to look like a total zombie. |
Literary inspiration for India: With such a short amount of time, I didn't have a chance to read an India-based novel this time. However, if you are looking for recommendations, here are a few of my favorites: The White Tiger, Shantaram, & Interpreter of Maladies.








I REALLY want to visit India someday. Maybe you'll go with me? Love all of the colors in your photos - just gorgeous! I love that cotton maxi dress, and I'm upset that the link is broken. Where can I get a matching one??
ReplyDelete