Sunday, August 25, 2013

Literary Inspirations: Singapore

I have to admit I cheated a bit.  I read my Singapore pick prior to my trip - but it was this fun, quick read that helped inspire my literary goal of one novel per country visited.  Not to mention, a book a week is tough when your days and night are jammed with sightseeing, eating, and working.

Crazy Rich Asians is a fun-filled ride-along with the Asian uber-rich jet-set pack.  It starts off in a West Village cafe (coincidentally around the corner from my apartment in NYC) and travels to Singapore - following the story of an old-money heir bringing his ABC (American Born Chinese) girlfriend (also coincidentally named Rachel) to meet his family on the other side of the world.  Written with humor and style by Singapore-born Kevin Kwan - this is a fun read that you will breeze through in no time - it gives you a glimpse into the crazy lives of the lives of the "haves" living today Asia.


So long Singapore, catch you next time (hopefully when I arrive in true style, on a private jet)...








1 comment:

  1. Love these mini book reports :) I need a book to read over Labor Day weekend -- maybe I'll take you up on this suggestion. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete