I headed into Sydney on the Friday night redeye from Singapore. Ran into a Googler from the NYC office on the flight -- always a small world. The flight was only a bit more than 5 hours, so not quite long enough to get a good sleep, so I ended up arriving in Sydney around 8am, heading to the hotel (which luckily had an early check in room available) and taking a long nap. I was optimizing my sleep for the long game.
 |
| Lovely sunrise as we landed in Sydney. |
Around 2pm I met up with a dear friend, Sophie, who I met through work when we both visited Toronto last Spring for a launch event. I decided right away that I wanted to become good friends - so when this trip got planned, I made sure to lock down plans :) We headed to her neighborhood -- the super cute Surry Hills (where I think I'd live if I moved here) -- for a late lunch and some great Rose at
The Winery. It was just like being back in NYC, enjoying a long, tasty brunch, lots of girl talk & gossip and good wine. She took me on a stroll through her neighborhood, where we met up with her wonderful BF, Elliot, and jumped in his car to head to the beach.
There are three main "walks" in Sydney, each lovelier than the next, and I'm thrilled to report I was able to fit them all in. The first was the
Bondi to Coogee coast path, which Sophie & Elliot took me to.
 |
| Bronte Beach, Sydney |
 |
| With Sophie @ Bronte Beach |
 |
Near Tamara Beach, Sydney
|
We sort of made it our own by doing Bronte to Bondi. I must say, this place is gorgeous. It was "the dead of winter" and 75 degrees and sunny, without a cloud in the sky. Reminded me quite a bit of the Pacific Coast (and made me miss home a bit). All the while Sophie & Elliot filling me in on all things Australian & her plans - YAY - to move to NYC in the Fall!
Along the walk are some amazing cliffs and rock formations - created over years of the sea crashing into the sandstone. Here we are in a more arty shot by our personal photographer, Elliot :)
There are lots of these amazing pools across Sydney built right up at the waters edge (and sometimes even in tidal pools with the ocean lapping into them).
 |
| Bondi Icebergs pool |
We were so lucky to enjoy this amazing sunset at the end of our walk, as we approached Bondi Beach.
 |
| Elliot, Sophie & Me @ Bondi Beach |
After our gorgeous walk, they invited me to join them at a dinner party they were attending that night with their good friends Will and Maria. I can hardly imagine a more wonderful evening than I shared with this group: it was just like getting together with old friends! Maria & Will are amazing cooks (many dishes were made based on
Ottolenghi's receipes) -- Sophie & Elliot brought the wine and some amazing ice cream from the current rage:
Messina (the salted carmel flavor is unreal). The company was wonderful, the food was amazing (definitely inspired me to get myself into the kitchen more when I got home) and it warmed my heart to be so welcomed by new friends in a new city.
Turns out, Maria is an amazing photographer -- and like me, also has a special love to succulents. She gifted me a gorgeous print she took of a cactus garden in Huntington, CA. I can't wait to get home to frame it and find a spot on my wall! Definitely goes with my southwest-style apartment. Check out Maria's photos from all over the world
here. She is amazingly talented! I'm hoping she and husband Will make it out to NYC for a visit once Sophie gets settled.
On my stroll home from a lovely evening, I came across this beautiful art installation in a random Sydney alley, called Angel Place. It consisted of hundreds of silver bird cages - of all shapes and sizes - hanging over the alleyway (no birds) with the recording of hundreds of birds playing from some unseen speakers.
 |
| A gorgeous installation deserves an arty shot. |
The following day I treated myself to a bit of a sleep in (10:30am) and then headed out for more explorations. The second of the 3 famous walks is the City's Green Corridor. I started at Hyde Park, headed through the Royal Botanic Gardens to The Domain & Speaker's Corner, and past the Art Gallery of NSW.
 |
| Walking through the Royal Botanic Gardens |
I then headed to Mrs. Macquaries point (named in 1810 after Elizabeth, Governor Macquaries wife, who ordered a seat chiseled into the rock from which she could view the harbor). Here I am, reenacting history:
 |
| Sitting in Mrs. Macquaries seat |
I continued on the lovely water path through the Botanic Gardens and to the iconic Sydney Opera House.
 |
| Sydney Opera House & Harbor Bridge behind me |
From there I headed through Circular Quay to The Rocks - and stopped for a tasty, alfresco lunch at
Sailors Thai Canteen. Had a delicious crab friend rice with pineapple and tried a local Pale Ale from Lord Nelson's brewery.
On a stroll through the shops along George Street, I popped into this amazing little place called
Wendy Murray Designs, that had the most beautiful suede shawls and ponchos and a lovely shop keeper -- aptly named Rachel -- who I hope will take me up on my offer to go for drinks when she's in NYC this Fall.
I headed back to Circular Quay to catch a ferry to Manly for the third Sydney walk "
Manly Scenic Walkway," which traces the coast west from Manly past million-dollar harbor-view and then through a rugged section of Sydney Harbor National Park.
View from the ferry deck on the way out to Manly.
 |
| Manly Cove |
I spent about 3 hours walking along the water -- it is absolutely gorgeous there -- and so many beautiful beaches and properties. I saw a bunch of people bring their SUP boards out to the coves and the marina -- I wanted to join in!
 |
| Near Forty Baskets Beach |
Passed another amazing outdoor pool - this one built right into the tidal pools of the cove!
Then I headed back to Sydney at sunset and enjoyed a quite dinner of oysters and a burger (and local wine of course) at
The Morrison.
On Monday night, I met up with an old friend from Google for dinner back at Bondi Beach at the delicious
North Bondi Italian:
 |
| with Paul back at Bondi Beach |
Sydney was such a blast! The people in the office were all awesome - huge travelers! - so I hope they'll visit in NYC. I got in one more coffee with my 2 favorite Sydney residents...I miss these girls already!
 |
| with Maria & Sophie |
And I'm off to the airport. Too short of a visit. I definitely need to get back again soon.
Fabulous, artsy Instagrams, Rach! And I cannot wait to see some of the purchases you've picked up along the way in Singapore & Sydney!
ReplyDelete