I am about halfway through my trip so I thought I'd share some interesting observations I have made thus far about my host country:
1). The clothing and jewelry worn by ladies here is just as colorful and beautiful as you would imagine. So many patterns and sequins and gold trim on their clothes - especially for formal occasions. It is very different than back home where formal = black clothes. As those who know me well know, I love to play dress-up. While shopkeepers are less than thrilled to let you try on a million things, I was lucky enough to get to try on this gorgeous sari. Wow, I wish we dressed like this at home!
2). There are a ton of Indian weddings and they look just as fun and opulent and over the top as you would imagine! Here's a video I shot out of my car window as we drove through Agra. We saw about 3 or 4 wedding processions in one night (and it isn't even high season for weddings):
3). Airports here, while I'm assuming are very safe (and are extremely clean, compared to say, Detroit or Columbus), have some strange inefficiencies. For example, for each of my flights, my ticket was checked no fewer that 6 times from when I first checked in until I exited the plane. My favorite 2 checks are done (1) after you get to the end of the jet bridge before you enter the plane (but after your ticket was checked at the start of the jet bridge)...I'm still not sure how I could have popped into the jet bridge unnoticed and (2) as you are exiting the plane, in case, for example, you figured out how to get onto the plan mid-flight...
4). There are some strange advertisements that appear all over town. This one in particular stuck out. I'm not so sure their demographic targeting was spot on here:
5). People don't really follow the rules when it come to lines. Basically, everyone cuts. But the best part is that they make it super obvious --- just walk right up and slide in front of you in line. When you call them out on it, typically they look absolutely shocked and surprised that there even WAS a line to begin with. Hmmm, not sure how you miss 50 people standing one behind the other to get to a desk, security point, ladies bathroom, etc.
6). Speaking of bathrooms, the Google ones have some interesting signs up in them, mostly to help remind you of the proper way to sit on the toilet and/or wash your hands. I'm super glad they have those signs because if you are working at Google and don't know how to go to the bathroom or wash your hands I think we some issues. Also, and this one I can't figure out, we have a bathroom attendant who goes into each stall in the ladies room after you go and lifts up the toilet seat and lid and leaves it that way. This means that every time you go into a stall (in the ladies room mind you) you need to put the toilet seat down to go.
7). Another funny one, I'm not sure if it is specific to Google, is that the facilities managers go around to all of the conference rooms at the end of the day and lower the seats to the lowest setting. So each time you go into a conference room, you have to raise the seat or sit SUPER close to the floor (below the table). My Indian colleagues at Google have no idea what this is about either.
8). They do have some great snacks here though. For instance Grilled Cheese flavored potato chips!? Wow, who came up with this brilliant idea:
I'm hoping to get photos from my AMAZING weekend in Delhi, Agra & Jaipur (The Golden Triangle) up soon. Stay tuned!
1). The clothing and jewelry worn by ladies here is just as colorful and beautiful as you would imagine. So many patterns and sequins and gold trim on their clothes - especially for formal occasions. It is very different than back home where formal = black clothes. As those who know me well know, I love to play dress-up. While shopkeepers are less than thrilled to let you try on a million things, I was lucky enough to get to try on this gorgeous sari. Wow, I wish we dressed like this at home!
2). There are a ton of Indian weddings and they look just as fun and opulent and over the top as you would imagine! Here's a video I shot out of my car window as we drove through Agra. We saw about 3 or 4 wedding processions in one night (and it isn't even high season for weddings):
3). Airports here, while I'm assuming are very safe (and are extremely clean, compared to say, Detroit or Columbus), have some strange inefficiencies. For example, for each of my flights, my ticket was checked no fewer that 6 times from when I first checked in until I exited the plane. My favorite 2 checks are done (1) after you get to the end of the jet bridge before you enter the plane (but after your ticket was checked at the start of the jet bridge)...I'm still not sure how I could have popped into the jet bridge unnoticed and (2) as you are exiting the plane, in case, for example, you figured out how to get onto the plan mid-flight...
4). There are some strange advertisements that appear all over town. This one in particular stuck out. I'm not so sure their demographic targeting was spot on here:
5). People don't really follow the rules when it come to lines. Basically, everyone cuts. But the best part is that they make it super obvious --- just walk right up and slide in front of you in line. When you call them out on it, typically they look absolutely shocked and surprised that there even WAS a line to begin with. Hmmm, not sure how you miss 50 people standing one behind the other to get to a desk, security point, ladies bathroom, etc.
6). Speaking of bathrooms, the Google ones have some interesting signs up in them, mostly to help remind you of the proper way to sit on the toilet and/or wash your hands. I'm super glad they have those signs because if you are working at Google and don't know how to go to the bathroom or wash your hands I think we some issues. Also, and this one I can't figure out, we have a bathroom attendant who goes into each stall in the ladies room after you go and lifts up the toilet seat and lid and leaves it that way. This means that every time you go into a stall (in the ladies room mind you) you need to put the toilet seat down to go.
7). Another funny one, I'm not sure if it is specific to Google, is that the facilities managers go around to all of the conference rooms at the end of the day and lower the seats to the lowest setting. So each time you go into a conference room, you have to raise the seat or sit SUPER close to the floor (below the table). My Indian colleagues at Google have no idea what this is about either.
8). They do have some great snacks here though. For instance Grilled Cheese flavored potato chips!? Wow, who came up with this brilliant idea:
I'm hoping to get photos from my AMAZING weekend in Delhi, Agra & Jaipur (The Golden Triangle) up soon. Stay tuned!




No comments:
Post a Comment