Cheers to 2014!
I, for one, am pumped to kick off the new year. 2013 ended with so much fun and I have a sneaking suspicion that the fun is going to keep on coming.
I tend to be one of those "NYE haters" - bad mouthing the holiday as if it had done me wrong. I usually group it with other "amateur nights" like Halloween and St. Patrick's Day: only for those lame-os who don't have any fun during the rest of the year. But this year, I decided to embrace the eve by hosting a little soiree at my apartment. The theme (and I LOVE a theme) was Fondue Fun.
It was definitely Fondue Fun! I've really come to enjoy hosting fetes at my apartment. Maybe it is because I love my lovely little place, or because I can use some of my dishes (which typically don't get used due to my excessive take-out ordering) or because I get to have all of my favorite people in one place. Whatever the reason, I'm digging it. And now that I own a fondue pot, there will be more fondue fun in my future.
The guest list included 7 of my favorite folks: Allison & Andrew, Nina & John, Becca & Brandon & Gillian. It was a great group and as it turned out, beginner's luck was on Brandon's side when we kicked off a game of Cards Against Humanity.
I can't think of a better was to celebrate the end of one great year and kick off the start to the next! Here's to a fantastic 2014 full of friends, fun and (hopefully) more fondue!
![]() |
I tend to be one of those "NYE haters" - bad mouthing the holiday as if it had done me wrong. I usually group it with other "amateur nights" like Halloween and St. Patrick's Day: only for those lame-os who don't have any fun during the rest of the year. But this year, I decided to embrace the eve by hosting a little soiree at my apartment. The theme (and I LOVE a theme) was Fondue Fun.
This took a bit of effort to pull off, as I actually didn't own a fondue set. This was quickly rectified by borrowing one from a colleague at work and taking the plunge and buying this cute little guy that my mom and I found at Crate & Barrel. I needed to have both a cheese fondue and a chocolate fondue. I relied on my personal cheese expert (Andrew) to recommend the recipe for the cheese fondue (a 3lb combo of Gruyere, Emmenthaler, and Scharfe Maxx). For the chocolate fondue, I relied on Crate & Barrel. The fun part was the dippers! For cheese I did sourdough bread cubes, Granny Smith Apples, Gherkins & fennel sausage. For chocolate I did angel food cake (my all-time favorite), strawberries and Allison made candied orange rinds. We toasted the new year with a new favorite champagne (which I discovered via an amazing wine paring with the tasting menu at Mas Farmhouse over the holidays): Gaston Chiquet Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs d'Ay, Champagne, France.
![]() |
| Andrew, Allison, Nina & John hitting the cheese fondue |
![]() |
| Chocolate fondue & my vintage demi-tasse cups |
It was definitely Fondue Fun! I've really come to enjoy hosting fetes at my apartment. Maybe it is because I love my lovely little place, or because I can use some of my dishes (which typically don't get used due to my excessive take-out ordering) or because I get to have all of my favorite people in one place. Whatever the reason, I'm digging it. And now that I own a fondue pot, there will be more fondue fun in my future.
The guest list included 7 of my favorite folks: Allison & Andrew, Nina & John, Becca & Brandon & Gillian. It was a great group and as it turned out, beginner's luck was on Brandon's side when we kicked off a game of Cards Against Humanity.
![]() |
The Ladies![]() |
xoxo,
Rach
ps: Incidentally, today is major milestone for me: celebrating 7 years working at Google! It's been a wild ride: I've worked in 11 countries, visited more than 16 offices, had 16 different seats (all in NYC!), had 7 different bosses, 5 different roles and more fun times than I can count. Here's to another 7 (and hopefully a continued growth in stock price)!





So fun! Now all I want to do is dip things in cheese. A sausage dipper sounds delish!! Happy New Year!!
ReplyDelete