Tonight I hit the road for my 10 day European "roadshow" (term coined by my work team) - though technically not a "road" anything, as we are flying/railing the entire trip. One of my favorite things about living on the east coast (and near 3 international airports) is the ability to jet to Europe in a hurry. And I'm happy to say I've actually taken advantage of that these last few years. This will be my 3rd trip to London/Paris for work in the last 3 years (side note: decided recently that a life goal of my is to go to Paris every year, forever! - hey, dream big, right!?). This trip also includes Dublin. While I love Ireland, Dublin is not my favorite spot, particularly in January. Although think I might be conditioned to dislike Dublin after getting stuck there during the 2010 volcanic eruption of Eyjafjallajokull (it did turn out to be quite an adventure, bankrolled by the Goog so maybe I should just be quiet).
Anywho, the trip kicks off with a long weekend in London, followed by 3 days in Dublin, a quick return to London and then 4 GLORIOUS days in Paris. Let the packing begin!
The past few years of constant travel (and the online stalking of my lifestyle crush/love-to-hate-her + hate-to-love-her-but-really-do-love-her GOOP) have helped be establish a set uniform for travel days and an obsession with packing in general (see ultimate packing challenge for evidence). That doesn't mean I am great at it, just that I am constantly striving for packing perfection. Here are a few quick tips that have proved useful to me:
- Comfy, black pants: they always look sharp, spills don't show & who wants to have uncomfortable pants on a red-eye
- Layers, layers layers: first I'm freezing, then I'm sweating, then I'm freezing again. Plus, extra layers can always double as a pillow
- Black blazer: again, looks sharp (even over stretch pants) and then you don't need to squish it into your luggage
- Wear your largest shoes/boots: frees up luggage space for other stuff & usually slip off easily for plane snoozing & security
- Chapstick & extra deodorant: who wants chapped lips or to feel stinky? Your seat-mate certainly doesn't want you to
- Optimize carry on: I try to carry-on for every trip. To do this I force double-duty on some items: using a clutch you are bringing as a pouch in your tote for electronics, get a universal adapter for chargers so you only need to bring one, bring lots of black since it goes with anything
- Colorful scarf: I'm pretty sure this is the trick all celebs use to look good when they arrive. Cameras will (hopefully) never be there at my arrivals but the future Mr. Right might be, so might as well make a good first impression
Travel Uniform
Clockwise from top left: Helmut Lang blazer (similar here), Rumisu silk scarf, J.Crew V-Neck Boyfriend Sweater, American Apparel Unisex Tri-Blend short-sleeved deep v-neck, J-Brand black skinny jeans, Costume National black leather + suede knee-high boots (similar here).
Work / Weekend Wear
Luckily as a "product person" at the Googs, my work/weekend attire is pretty much interchangeable. Clockwise from top left: grey turtleneck shirt (similar here), Madewell striped v-neck t-shirt, J.Crew vintage cotton v-neck t-shirt, Maje wear-with-everything-to-everything black slacks (similar here), Current/Elliot camo shirt, white blouse (old), Costume National ankle booties, Rag & Bone skinny jeans, Intermix sweater (similar here), Chanel striped sweater (vintage), Costume National long-sleeved black dress (similar here), Repetto black flats.
On the Town
It may be cold, grey and rainy, but that's no excuse not to wear something fun. Clockwise from top left: Kate Spade black suede wedge heels (old, similar here), Joie houndstooth jacket (massively on sale when I bought it!), Helmut Lang leather pants, Club Monaco moto vest, Rag & Bone white tank (similar style here), Raquel Allegra tie-dyed top (similar styles here), Chanel bag (vintage).
Accessories
I have been trying hard to accessorize better and more often. A few of my recent favorites that have added a little something special to an outfit or even a trip: Clockwise from top left: Kate Spade red leather moto gloves (old), black leather belt, Emerson Fry silk romper similar here (perfect for waking up feeling glamorous in Paris!), Otte felt hat, Claire Vivier woven clutch (similar here), Coach passport case & coin purse & Ray-Ban aviators.
So excited to get out on the road - so many friendly faces to see in each of the cities I'm visiting.
Check back for adventures along the way!
Check back for adventures along the way!




I always love your packing posts!! There is something so satisfying about the combination of fashion and tidy organization in the outfit shots. You definitely inherited the Dorman packing gene. Can't wait to hear all about your trip! p.s., I'm I seeing that the silk cami comes with it's own silk pouch? Classy!
ReplyDeleteYes! The romper came with it's own matching little travel pouch :)
DeleteLove following your adventures! And man, you sure have some great clothes. Hope you have a wonderful, whirlwind trip.
ReplyDeleteThanks lady! I always think of you when I'm in Europe -- wish you were here to explore some of the art galleries with me, would love your expertise and insights. Can't wait for YOUR next big adventure (hopefully my little birthday girl :) -- keep me posted and send me pics!!
DeleteSuper chic packing job for your "Getaway"!
ReplyDeleteThese posts are my favorite because you are a packing genius who always looks impeccable!
ReplyDelete