Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tokyo A-Go-Go

Sunday was my last day in Tokyo, so I wanted to make the most of it.  I got up early and headed out.  There are so many really interesting and different neighborhoods in Tokyo - but there's no way to hit them all in such a short time.  Based on recommendations from friends, I focused on Shibuya, Daikanyama and Asakusa where I met up with Tomoko for the afternoon.

I started off at Hachiko Crossing in Shibuya - the 5 way crossing that is absolute madness!  Thousands of people going in every direction.  I took a bunch of photos, but honestly, they didn't do it justice.  I stopped into the "Borders" of Japan to find a copy of Memoirs of a Geisha (in Japanese) for Tomoko.  I had been talking it up a bunch and wanted to gift her a copy.  Turns out it is not very well known at all in Japan -- a bit strange to me considering it is all about Japan.  However, with a bit of luck and a very friendly book shop employee, I was able to locate a copy!

I cheated a bit -- since I had so little time to explore -- and took cabs to a bunch of spots.  They cost way too much, but it was the price I had to pay to attempt to fit it all in.

Next up was Daikanyama.  I absolutely LOVED this neighborhood!  Small winding streets, cafes, bars, adorable boutiques.  It was like the West Village of Tokyo.  If I were to move to Tokyo, I would hope to live in Daikanyama.  I had some good luck at a few shops :)


Streets in Daikanyama

Adorable cafes & shops were on every corner:






From Daikanyama, I headed to Asakusa to meet Tomoko for lunch.  I first met her at her apartment - a small but lovely spot on the 14th floor with a great balcony and an amazing view of the Sky Tree.  She showed me her collection of antique Kimono.  Wow!  She started collecting them a few years ago and she wears them all the time!  She found a bunch at a small vintage boutique in her neighborhood - and even had one that was her grandmothers that was absolutely stunning.

We headed to lunch and she introduced me to a new type of Japanese cuisine that I had never tried before.  I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it is a speciality specifically from Tokyo.  Just like all of the food I've eaten in Japan, it was amazing!  The texture was quite odd; sort of like a warm cream of wheat with some crunchies in it.  You pour it out like liquid and then heat it over the grill on the table.  But the flavors were great.  And we washed it down with pints of Yebisu.





From there we headed to Senso-Ji Temple, a stunning Buddhist temple, the oldest in Tokyo.  

Senso-Ji Temple, Tokyo


It was a crazy-hot day (over 95 degrees and 100% humidity) but the temple and surrounding gardens were gorgeous.  At one point, we went to get our fortunes: you shake a box of chopsticks, one falls out, and you find a drawer with the corresponding number that was on the chopstick and in the drawer your fortune awaits.  Unfortunately, I got "Bad Fortune" -- turns out though, that the superstitious believe that (a) if you tie your bad fortune to a stand it floats away (along with your bad luck) and (b) getting "Bad Fortune" means that there is nowhere to go but up.  Let's just say this, if strolling through Old Tokyo with a new friend looking a beautiful temples is a "Bad Fortune" day for me, I can't wait to see what amazingness is in store when I have a "Good Fortune" day!


With Tomoko @ Senso-Ji Temple

At a certain position around the temple, you can see the brand new (extremely modern) Sky Tree in the background.  I liked this shot because it's very old-meets-new in terms of architecture:




From there we headed through the large marketplace -- like so many in Japan you could find pretty much anything in the world you were looking for: food, clothes, electronics, toys, house wares, shoes, etc.  She led me to a small building and up a few flights of stairs to this tiny little shop that sold antique Kimono.  I was in heaven!  Since you only live once, and really, who doesn't need a few vintage Kimono!? - I decided on 3 (2 long & 1 short) that are absolutely beautiful!


Vintage Kimono (right 3) hanging along side my borrowed Yukata.

Before we parted, Tomoko presented me with a gift of one of her obi!  It was such a special and thoughtful gift - something I will treasure and hopefully have reason to wear one day soon with my new (old) Kimonos!


After we said goodbye, I headed back to my hotel to drop off my purchases (turns out Kimono are very heavy!), changed my clothes and headed out for some JAPANESE BASEBALL at Jingu Stadium!!!!  There was no way I was going to miss this :)


Jingu Stadium
Turns out Japanese baseball is very much like American baseball.  The major differences were:
  1. Beer girls: these girls carried mini-kegs on their backs throughout the stadium and sold pints of beer.  I was impressed.
  2. Cheerleaders: this was new.  We definitely don't have those for baseball, but I have to say, they added a special something.
  3. Cheering in general: the Japanese definitely have a leg up on us with regards to their cheers, flags, songs, drums, trumpets, etc.  All instigated and choreographed by the fans.  And they cheer the ENTIRE time their team is up at bat.  I wished I could have understood what they were chanting.
Note: I have some great videos, but they aren't uploading :(  I'll have to add them later.




While some of the food options were slightly different (ramen, soba, yakitori) there were a few ballpark standbys:



It was so much fun, and in many ways, I could have been anywhere in the world.  It was clear the Japanese take their baseball very seriously and are just crazy about the sport.  Just another ballpark to add to my goal to hit them all :)

Back at the hotel, I struggled to fit all of my things back in my suitcase (thank goodness for the extra duffle!) -- and then finally headed to bed.  And with that, my days in Tokyo came to an end.  Just an amazing city.  I could have spent months and months exploring and not gotten tired of it.  Definitely somewhere I want to return someday!

Sayōnara Tokyo!





2 comments:

  1. What an amazing trek through Asia, Rach! Happy to hear you're making friends (duh!) and exploring so many new foods, cultures, clothes and more. xo P.S. Love the shot of the Temple and Sky Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see the kimonos in person -- they look stunning! And, of course, I loved the hot dog shot -- yum!

    ReplyDelete