Many of you know that I have been dreaming of visiting India for years, and I have been trying to make a trip happen since I starting working for Google. Well, 4 years since I started at Google and 20 hours of traveling later and I am finally here!
My base for the next 30 days will be Hyderabad. For those of you who never watched Where in the World is Carmen San Diego or closely studied a map of India, Hyderabad is here. Hyderabad -- sometimes dubbed 'Cyberbad' -- is considered one of the software/internet hubs of India (so, yes, for those who asked, I do have email access here...)
After two relatively uneventful flights, I landed in Hyderabad at about 3am and Elisabeth (my partner in crime on this adventure) and I were met by our trusty driver D. Chand. Good thing too because the arrival area of the airport is just like you would imagine: loud, overwhelming and packed with people. It was like the polar opposite of trying to get a cab on a rainy day in NYC -- everyone was fighting to give us a ride.
It was only about a 30 min ride back to our apartment -- and we were in for a treat! I felt almost like we were cast in an episode of 'Real World - Hyderabad.' The building is located only about a 2 minute walk from the Google offices and it's really nice. However, instead of claiming rooms and instantly jumping in a hottub, Elisabeth and I were given a grand tour of the place and shown to our assigned suites. Let's just say that my whole apartment could practically fit in the size of my room & private bathroom.
Here's the view when you first walk in. The kitchen (totally stocked) and dining room are to the left, as is a private garden/atrium, straight ahead is a living room (they have a game shelf -- which includes Scrabble), and to the right is the hall where the suites are located.
My room & bathroom:
Foyer & private garden:
Needless to say my apartment is pretty great. We spent the early morning unpacking & settling in before passing out from exhaustion.
My base for the next 30 days will be Hyderabad. For those of you who never watched Where in the World is Carmen San Diego or closely studied a map of India, Hyderabad is here. Hyderabad -- sometimes dubbed 'Cyberbad' -- is considered one of the software/internet hubs of India (so, yes, for those who asked, I do have email access here...)
A few fun facts about Hyderabad:
Population: ~4M
Winter Temperature: average of 74 degrees F (nice!) -- right now it is about 85 degrees F.
Hyderabad is 10.5 hours ahead of New York (EST)
Official currency: the Rupee (~45 Rupees to $1 USD)
After two relatively uneventful flights, I landed in Hyderabad at about 3am and Elisabeth (my partner in crime on this adventure) and I were met by our trusty driver D. Chand. Good thing too because the arrival area of the airport is just like you would imagine: loud, overwhelming and packed with people. It was like the polar opposite of trying to get a cab on a rainy day in NYC -- everyone was fighting to give us a ride.
It was only about a 30 min ride back to our apartment -- and we were in for a treat! I felt almost like we were cast in an episode of 'Real World - Hyderabad.' The building is located only about a 2 minute walk from the Google offices and it's really nice. However, instead of claiming rooms and instantly jumping in a hottub, Elisabeth and I were given a grand tour of the place and shown to our assigned suites. Let's just say that my whole apartment could practically fit in the size of my room & private bathroom.
Here's the view when you first walk in. The kitchen (totally stocked) and dining room are to the left, as is a private garden/atrium, straight ahead is a living room (they have a game shelf -- which includes Scrabble), and to the right is the hall where the suites are located.
My room & bathroom:
Foyer & private garden:
Needless to say my apartment is pretty great. We spent the early morning unpacking & settling in before passing out from exhaustion.
No comments:
Post a Comment